Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Olympics 2012 - through the eyes of a child

A few days back a friend wrote to me, asking if I was writing a post about the Olympics. Seemed a logical thing to do given that I live in London and the city was hosting the Olympics this year. Except I didn't really have much to say so I issued an immediate and emphatic 'No'. 

And then, I forgot about all it until very recently when I came across V1 carrying V2 on his back while attempting to jump over a bean bag. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?' I yelled partly in shock, partly out of curiosity.

They looked at me as if the answer would have been obvious to even one with a single digit IQ.
I still didn't get it. 
So V2 who is more considerate about such matters, explained, "Mamma I horse riding man. I do Lim-pics". 
"So why are you sitting on your brother?" I asked. 
V1 sighed. With that "elementary my dear" look of resigned condescension Sherlock Holmes reserves for the more 'simple minded' Watson, he explained, "Me horse. Bhai horse rider. We do same like Lim-pics"

Gotcha! Finally!!! So they were playing out their own version of the Equestrian events we were watching a few days back!!! Very logical of course! No equestrian event was complete without a rider and a horse, even one involving two 3 yr olds!! 

So between watching them do their own equestrian events and perpetually "gymnasting" down the stairs, attempting cartwheels while on a downward descent or leaping up and down chairs, doing their interpretation of the balance beam, I wondered what does a child really understand about the greatest sporting event in the world? 

Both the Vs had been to the Olympics stadium on a school trip and had seen the athletics track but let's face it, what 3yr old understands the significance of what he did on that trip or just how lucky he really was to have experienced what he did! 

Now while my sons are still too little to comprehend what the Olympics are, I had the pleasure of coming across some ABSOLUTELY AMAZING drawings made by the two little boys of my friend Natasha - Thing 1 and Thing 2.

The creativity of these two little talented cartoonists unleashed on paper; the sheer breadth and complexity of the visuals that their brains conjured up when they heard about the various events from their mom, was an absolute treat to see!! And once I saw their drawings, I couldn't think of a better or more appropriate way of doing this post and so I asked Natasha, for these pictures so I could share them with you. Each piece of art is accompanied by a story of how it came into being, narrated by their mom.


Check out that sweet "You have bot a ticket? Oh Yes ro No" bit.
Simply love it!


Isn't the sheer number of sports he has sketched out, just fascinating?


I am absolutely in awe of the imagination that has gone into this one!


And finally, how could our budding cartoonists not have a tribute to the woman who captured all our imaginations - Magnificient Mary Kom!

I cannot think of a more sincere, more touching tribute to Mary Kom!
Also do not miss out the "Help! The pigs are licking me!"


Thank you Natasha for letting me have these wonderful works of art and letting me post these! 
And T1 and T2, I am so bowled over by your creativity and your imagination, as is everyone who has seen these! With an imagination as powerful, as beautiful as yours, you will go really far in this world! And I hope, there will soon come a day I will proudly narrate how I was able to post your fantastic work :-)

Finally will leave you with this hilarious incident -
I was watching the men's diving competition when V1 walked in. Our little man is obsessed with underpants and watching the grown up men in theirs, he stopped in his tracks, forgot to whine for Tom and Jerry and sat down to watch by my side. 
After a while, to make conversation, I asked him, "So, do you think this is fun?"
V1 usually speaks in monosyllables when he watches TV. 
So all I got was a 'Hmmm'
Undeterred, I continued, "Don't you think they are doing an awesome job?"
This time V1 looked at me very intently. 
"Me can do better" he said. "Me wear my Batman underpants. Then me stronger. Me jump higher and faster. Really really fast"!!
I smiled. Unknown to him, by sheer accident my 3yr old had captured the very essence of the games - 
Faster, Higher, Stronger...

1 comment:

  1. What a delightful post, Moushumi.
    I love V1's excitement- yes, in his Batman underpants he will go faster, higher, stronger. Who knows, he might just end up winning a medal for his country too!
    And thank you for sharing Thing One and Thing Two's "artwork"!

    ReplyDelete