I have been going mad.
Insane. Crazy. Demented. Deranged.
No, not because of the magnolias. As far as I know, they aren't the 'phoren' cousins of the Datura and do not contain any psychotropic substances or hallucinogens or produce any mind altering chemicals!
No, its something else!
I have been in holiday planning mode! And I am one of those people who score quite high on the obsessive compulsive scale. Holiday destinations are short-listed after digesting a few Lonely Planets. Then the short-list and itineraries are finalised after participating in travel forums. B&Bs/ Hotels/ Self Catering (an option that's these days far more preferable with 2 kids) are selected after hours spent checking them out on Trip Advisor and the Lonely Planet website. It usually takes me about 1-2 days to finalise a hotel/ B&B as I read each and every review of each one I short-list! And once the destination is in place, I send out mails with To-do lists, and itineraries which have dates and time carefully spelt out! As I said, when it comes to holiday planning, I am as anal as they get!
I have been in holiday planning mode! And I am one of those people who score quite high on the obsessive compulsive scale. Holiday destinations are short-listed after digesting a few Lonely Planets. Then the short-list and itineraries are finalised after participating in travel forums. B&Bs/ Hotels/ Self Catering (an option that's these days far more preferable with 2 kids) are selected after hours spent checking them out on Trip Advisor and the Lonely Planet website. It usually takes me about 1-2 days to finalise a hotel/ B&B as I read each and every review of each one I short-list! And once the destination is in place, I send out mails with To-do lists, and itineraries which have dates and time carefully spelt out! As I said, when it comes to holiday planning, I am as anal as they get!
Not any more! I have suddenly discovered that there is a nation of people who are way more organized & more obsessive compulsive than I am & that my friends, ain't a very happy feeling!
For the last couple of weeks, I have been trying to book a few weekend getaways for summer & a week long holiday in June during the Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations. And guess what?
Nothing is available!
Nothing! Zilch! Nada!
Not only is everything booked, but most places are booked till August/ September and in some cases, till the end of the year!!! And then there are a few great ones who have their holidays planned out till 2014!!! I thought I was obsessive compulsive but these guys make me look like a toddler who has just learnt to walk, in comparison!
Most of the emails in my inbox read like this ~
"We are sorry but we are unable to ..."
"Thank you for considering us but..."
"We are sorry to have to inform you .... but you could try X, Y, Z..."
"Thank you for considering us but..."
"We are sorry to have to inform you .... but you could try X, Y, Z..."
And then come the mails from X, Y, Z...
"We are so sorry... but you could try A, B, C..."
And on goes the game of English whispers! I believe, that between all the X,Y,Zs and the A, B, Cs that we have been through, we have probably covered all the B&Bs and hotels from Arundel to Brighton to Cornwall to Devon to Essex to Kent to Wales and York!!!!!
Phew!!!!
Whatever happened to spontaneity, people??? To waking up one lazy morning, deciding I need a holiday, packing one's bags & driving off into the unknown? To living in the moment, to trusting your instincts, to taking yourself by surprise? To listening to your heart and letting the head take a back-seat for once? Is that antiquated and out of date already?
If it is, I cannot think of a greater tragedy! For it's those spontaneous beings who make life so much more exciting, not the boring, doddery, analytical, planned souls like me!
As I ruminate over this change that seems to have gripped my fellow beings, I am leaving you with images of something I did really spontaneously; spent a day walking around aimlessly, clicking pictures. These are of one of my favourite flowers - Magnolias. For more pictures in the series please visit this link .
No comments:
Post a Comment